Friday, December 20, 2019
Season’s Greetings from the UCSF Industry Documents Library!
The UCSF Industry Documents Library staff would like to thank all of you for your continued support and rigorous research into the Truth Tobacco Industry Documents, Drug Industry Documents, Chemical Industry Documents, Food Industry Documents, and new Fossil Fuel Industry Documents collections. Your scholarship has influenced public health policy around the world and produced over 1060 papers and publications using the documents.
Highlights of 2019 –
Please consider making a tax-deductible donation to the Industry Documents Library to help us add new collections in 2020!
14,997,111 documents now up on IDL!
- Over 52,900 tobacco documents were added to the Truth Tobacco Industry Documents
- We added our first collection on JUUL Labs
- We established an Opioid Litigation documents collection in the Drug Industry Documents Archive with more planned for 2020
- More than 100 new documents were added to the Chemical Industry Documents Archive, including a new collection on PFAS chemicals which were featured in the 2018 documentary The Devil We Know (and are also the subject of the new Mark Ruffalo film Dark Waters)
- Our Food Industry Documents Archive more than doubled in size, with over 74,000 new documents added this year. New collections include papers of nutritionists Fredrick J. Stare, Charles Glen King, and Nevin Scrimshaw, as well as subject files from the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) and records of the BC Sugar Refining Company
- We built a new Fossil Fuel Industry Documents Archive to house over 1,100 documents from the Climate Investigations Center’s Climate Files project, which detail the fossil fuel industry's research and reaction to anthropogenic climate change beginning in the 1950s to the present.
From all of us at the IDL, we wish you Happy Holidays and a Joyous New Year!
Kate, Rachel, Rebecca and Sven
Friday, December 20, 2019
A Final Batch of Tobacco and Food Industry Documents for 2019Tobacco Industry Documents Update:
160 new Tobacco Industry Documents added today:
Food Industry Documents Update:
11,268 new Food Industry Documents posted today
- 1291 CSPI (Center for Science in the Public Interest) documents from their Subject Files. This is the final batch and brings the total number of documents in this collection to 12,769!
- 5,864 new Fredrick Stare Papers
- We are pleased to announce another new Food Industry Documents Collection - the Nevin Scrimshaw Papers. With the assistance of the Annette and Irwin Eskind Family Biomedical Library and Learning Center at Vanderbilt University, 4113 selected documents were posted today. Nevin S. Scrimshaw was a notable epidemiologist and nutritionist. Educated at both Harvard and University of Rochester, he served as a consultant to the Pan American Sanitary Bureau and then as a Regional Advisor on Nutrition to the Pan American Health Organization. Scrimshaw founded and was the director of the Institute of Nutrition of Central America and Panama, was a professor at M.I.T. and Columbia University and served as a Fellow at the Rockefeller Foundation.
Friday, November 22, 2019
Tobacco and Food Industry Document Additions Posted!
Tobacco Industry Documents updates:
- 22 new depositions and trial transcripts from Dr. Robert Proctor in Engle Progeny Tobacco Cases
- 5 audio recordings of radio advertisements added to the JUUL Regulatory Documents Collection
- 4 preserved websites added to the E-cigarette Marketing Web Archives collection, including sites for Measure C, Pax and Own It Voice It, a pro-vaping and tobacco advocacy site funded by Reynolds American, Inc.
Food Industry Documents updates:
We are pleased to announce the addition of the new Fredrick Stare Papers collection to the Food Industry Documents Archive.
Through a partnership with the Center for the History of Medicine in the Francis A. Countway Library at Harvard University, IDL has acquired tens of thousands of documents from the Fredrick J. Stare Papers. Dr. Stare was an American nutritionist regarded as one of the country’s most influential teachers of nutrition. In 1942, Stare founded the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health, now the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. In 1978, Stare co-founded and served as chairman of the Board of Directors for the American Council on Science and Health (ACSH), which he served on until his death in 2002. Within Harvard’s nutrition department, Stare advised on, developed, and participated in public information, public education, and public affairs campaigns to ensure that key opinion leaders, the public, and government agencies accepted the conventional food system. This included campaigning for sugar and sugary breakfast cereals and characterizing the public’s fears about pesticides and inorganic fertilizers as unfounded. He fund-raised heavily throughout his tenure in the department, soliciting donations from many food industry corporations and interest groups.
Wednesday, October 30, 2019
New Tobacco and Food Industry Documents PostedTobacco Industry Documents Update
394 New Tobacco Documents added to the Truth Tobacco Industry Documents today -
Food Industry Documents Archive Update
1327 New Food Industry Documents posted including:
Support IDL's Archives Month Fundraiser!
Can you help us process newly-released documents from opioid litigation by making a tax-deductible donation today? Any amount would help. Thank you so much for your support!
Click here to donate: https://givingtogether.ucsf.edu/fundraiser/2404262
Thursday, October 03, 2019
13,000 New Tobacco and Food Industry Documents Added
Tobacco Industry Documents Additions:
12,093 new tobacco industry documents
Food Industry Documents Additions:
- 219 new CSPI documents
- 1,411 documents in the new Charles Glen King Papers - King was a biochemist and prominent investigator in nutrition, best known for his work with vitamin C and hexuronic acid. He was the Scientific Director of the Nutrition Foundation until 1963.
Friday, September 06, 2019
Over 20K new Tobacco, Chemical and Food Industry Documents PostedTruth Tobacco Industry Documents
14,914 new documents including -
Chemical Industry Documents:
103 new Roundup Litigation Documents - includes depositions of editors of Critical Reviews in Toxicology and Food and Chemical Toxicology, journals Monsanto regarded as targets for publication planning, along with attached exhibits showing relationship between journals and Monsanto.
Food Industry Documents:
5595 new documents including -
New Collection: BC Sugar Company Records - This collection of selected documents from the British Columbia Sugar Refining Company records includes internal 'Sugar Association' documents regarding US and Canadian sugar company strategies around attitudes toward sugar and resultant policy formulation; annual BC Sugar Company reports; corporate employee communications; BC Sugar publications; meeting minutes; and contracts.
- 5101 new Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) documents
Thursday, August 08, 2019
Thousands of New Tobacco and Food Industry Documents
1381 new Tobacco Industry Documents posted today:
5658 new Food Industry Documents: